Mostra Permanente dei Tesori dell'Abbazia | Accommodation details
63828 Campofilone (FM)
San Bartolomeo abbey included a small two-aisle church with a bell tower and a monastery with its vegetable garden. It was built during the Middle Ages on a piece of land where there used to be a Roman construction (perhaps a villa or a pagan temple).
However, during the first half of the 19th Century the church was no longer big enough to seat the growing number of believers. Therefore, after papal authorization, in 1843 a commission was set up, presided over by the Archbishop of Fermo, in order to built a new church.
Such commission asked to the engineer Filippo Roncalli to design the church and the monastery. In 1850 the new church was completed and consecrated. During the following years it was gradually provided with altars, furnishings and works of art. The paintings on the walls, apse and vaults were made between 1898 and 1899 by Luigi Fontana from Montesanpietrangeli with the help of his pupil Nicola Achilli. Inside the monastery they painted the “Sala degli Stemmi” (emblem hall) in order to remeber the abbots that had succeded during the centuries.
Today only part of the bell tower can be visited, a remain of the ancient abbey.
Openinh hours: the museum is opened upon request by calling 0734932914.
Exhibitio of: archaelogy, religious art, natural history, malacology.
Facilities: guided tours, access for the disabled.