Sant'Elpidio a Mare | Accommodation details
In the heart of the Marche, a few kilometers from the Adriatic coast, Sant’Elpidio a Mare rises up as one of the main centers for cultural traditions and economic life. The origins start with the barbaric destruction of the Roman town of Cluana, at the mouth of the Chienti River, from where the powerful Benedictine Abbey of Santa Croce, which makes a great impact on the history and on the economy of the territory, will develop from high medieval times right up to the XIII century AD. During the next centuries the inhabited settlements will also extend towards the nearby hills: one of these new centers will actually be the Castle of Sant’Elpidio, heart of the present day town which still presents itself with well preserved town walls, a town hall, a tower and the three town gate entrances.
Around the middle of the XIII century Sant’Elpidio a Mare became autonomous removing itself from the under control of Fermo and obtaining the privilege of being allowed to build a port. However the conflicting relationship with the nearby Fermo found its bloody epilogue in 1377, when the Fermani managed to enter the town by surprise and set fire to it.
Another significant episode for the town’s history came about a few centuries later: more precisely in 1789 when Sant’Elpidio a Mare, still faithful to the Pontifical State, had to arm itself to resist the Napoleonic troupes of general Rusca which inflicted grave injuries and damage.
At present besides the Capoluogo (Chief town), the districts of Casette d’Ete, Mostrapiedi, Cascinare, Castellano, Luce and Cretarola are also included in the territory of the municipality.
Sant’Elpidio a Mare is one of the most active and better known centers of the Fermano – Maceratese Footwear District.