Ponzano di Fermo | Accommodation details
It is a small centre on the peak of a hill which still has its medieval physiognomy intact. The municipality includes three urban nuclei: the Chief town and the hamlets of Torchiaro and Capparuccia. It has a surface of 14,38 sq. km. The Chief town is 248 m over sea level. Archaeological remains of Roman Age indicate the presence of an urban nucleus since 300 AD. The oldest document that has the name of Ponzano goes back to1059 and is within the deed with which Longino donates a land near the Church of San Marco to the Bishop of Fermo. In the VIII century the monks of Farfa settle in organizing a Curtis and building a church dedicated to S.Maria Mater Domini: in the second half of the XVI century it starts to be called also Church of S.Marco. In 1570 Ponzano gets a taste of the excitement of true Municipal Freedom when Pope Pio V, with the ‘Motu Proprio’, divides, separates the Castle of Ponzano from the Jurisdiction of the Town of Fermo. The present day denomination of Ponzano di Fermo was assumed on the 24th of August 1862.
Monuments and Churches
- Church of San Marco (XII century) is about 500 meters outside of the center of Ponzano. The name derives, by established probability, from the development of the renowned San Marco Exhibition, allowed by Pope Paolo III in 1537 which lasted 10 days. The central body of the façade is dominated by the XV century imposing quadrangular tower.
The Church is divided into three naves separated by columns and pillars; the presbytery slightly elevated where an ancient sarcophagus of Roman times has the function of an altar. At the end of the left nave we find a monumental bell of 1290 and a sacred water font of 1566, where upon the head of a cow has been sculptured.
On the other nave a Marble Font is present for the holy water which goes back to 1584.
A marble remains with the inscription “Pipini Adriani Papae” takes us back in time to the second half of the VIII century, in the memory of the Alliance Pact sanctioned between Carlo Magno, his son Pipino and the Pope.
- Torrione, with orgive barre-vaults and with part ghibelline battlements is erected on the main entrance of the Castle.
- Parish Church of Santa Maria, built in 1792, is in neo-classical style and preserves paintings of the XVII and XVIII century. It is situated at the foot of the ramp which goes into the old ‘incasato’ of the Castle.
- Curch of SS.mi Simone e Giuda (Torchiaro): it goes back to 1827 done on a project of the architect Alessandro Vassalli.
- Porta d’Ingresso (Torchiaro): it goes back to the XV century and allows access to the ‘incasato’ of the ancient Castle.
- Fonte Moscogna (Fountain): it is situated 500 meters from the center of Ponzano, on the provincial road n. 180 which leads to the hamlet of Capparuccia. It was already cited in the land register of the XVI century and later on underwent various restorations.