Rapagnano | Accommodation details
Rapagnano was already inhabited during pre-Roman times; during the excavations in 1880 in the location of S. Tiburzio, Picenum items of considerable importance were discovered, which could be dated around the VI century BC. Rapagnano was registered as an estate of the Bishop of Fermo in a document of 1059; in the XIV century it was encircled by walls. In 1229 the castle, disputed over by Fermo and Montegiorgio became an estate of the latter by the will of the imperial order, but a few years later in 1244, it was conquered once again by Fermo. Later on Rapagnano always followed in the events of the latter, except for a brief parenthesis, when during the XV century it was taken over and taken in siege by Carlo Malatesta.
Monuments, Churches and Museums
- Parish of S. Giovanni Battista, constructed during the first twenty years of the XIX century on the pre-existing sites of the churches of S. Giovanni and of Saints Maria and Severino. The bell tower rises up at the side and the entrance is through the lower cell of the bell tower where an inscription in gothic characters has been placed in honor of Giovanni XVII, born in Rapagnano, who became Pope in 1003. Inside is a XVII century umbra-marchigiana painting on canvas representing the “Madonna enthroned with Saints”.
- Medieval Tower, what remains of a XIV century fortress, with guelph embattlements.