Servigliano | Accommodation details
The name Servigliano gets its origins from a landed property. It goes back to Publio Servilio Rullo, tribune of Gneo Pompeo the Great, who owned land here: Servilianus, property of Servilius. The first Roman appropriation is around the middle of century I b.C.
The archeological relics recovered so far consist of floor tessera (mosaics), remains of a villa of the late republican era in marble and stone, and an inscription where there is mention of the ‘ager servilianus’ that is the land and the holdings owned by the people of servilia. The Romanization of these territories comes to an end between the 31 and 29 b.C. on behalf of Octavian (the future Emperor Augustus). The remains in ‘opus coementicium’ visible along the part of the Matenana provincial road, which leads to the Curetta district can be dated back to these times.
During the Middle Ages, when the whole of the regional territory was drawn into the phenomenon of fortifying with battlements, and the foundations of castles were taken to major altitudes in comparison to any previous settlements, even the people from Servigliano became supporters of the phenomenon and therefore moved to a more elevated position in contrast to the ancient roman appropriations and to the present day ‘incasato’ of late XVIII century. This area remained a large estate until the times of the Lombards and later, most of it will remain uninhabited and uncultivated until 774, that is until Carlo Magno’s defeat and the consequent allotments of the land. The area was then absorbed by the monks of the Abbey of Farfa (an important Farfense Abbey is founded by the abbot Pietro I at the nearby Santa Vittoria). In 1035, the bishop of Fermo, awarded the sons of the Count Mainardo of Sigfrido, already in this territory since the high Middle ages, various lands, including those in question.
Meanwhile the castle of Servigliano was already well organized in the present Curetta district even before the year 1,000 and the serviglianesi remained stationed there for about seven hundred years. Regarding the ties between this ‘castrum’ and Fermo there are documents which testify to the close relationship and the faithfulness that the population renewed periodically to the Bishop of the town. Today, the only traces still visible of the ancient architectonical structure of Servigliano are a few brief parts of the medieval town walls. The present day inhabited area was divided up between different nobles and the part known as San Gualtiero was handed over in 1450 to the castle of Servigliano by the Abbot of Farfa (since 1969 both the medieval games and a charming tournament of knighthood re-enact the atmosphere of the late medieval times so as to remember the generous gift made to the community by the Farfense Abbot).
Starting from the XIV century, the site of the present historic center became the place of an market of great fame for all the merchants coming from the most varied parts of the present Marche Region during the months of March, August and September.
In the XVIII century the hill of the medieval castle of Servigliano started to landslide in an unstoppable way due to the infiltrations of water in the excessively de-forested land. So starts the lengthy correspondence between the community of Servigliano and the Pontificial State in order to rebuild the castle elsewhere, faraway from the dangers. The exodus of the inhabitants starts right from 1758, but only in 1771 does a papal chirograph give the authorization to the population to move. Two years before, the Arch. Antonio Bracci was sent to analyze the area and he designated the area of the ancient market, the plain of Santa Maria, as an ideal place for the foundation of the new settlement. So therefore the move was towards the lower plain, at about four km from the medieval ‘castrum’, in a place where the same Arch. Bracci defines and draws what is still nowadays the urban outlay of Servigliano. Its XVIII century foundation is based on an elementary and rational geometry: a rectangle elaborated on the ideal XVI century towns and earlier still on the models of the ancient Roman ‘castrums’ with the crossing between the cardo and the decuman, which go from the present day Porta Marina to Porta Navarra and from Porta Santo Spirito up to the collegiate of San Marco. The name became, (only for a few years) Castel Clementino, in honor of the pope that had allowed the new foundation. Many of the materials used for the building of the new center came from the ancient buildings that were abandoned and knocked down.
Other attractions worth visiting
Parco della Pace: (Park of the Peace) ex-prisoners of war camp (from the two wars).
Food & Wine: oil, wine, salumi
Curiosities and anecdotes: The town is divided into ‘Rioni’ (districts) which every August still battle with each other in the “Torneo Cavalleresco” (Knights Tournament).