Via Trento e Trieste, 1
63825 Monterubbiano (FM)
0734 259980 - 0734 257396

Historical Notes
Monterubbiano is situated on a hill, on the north side of the Aso valley, at 463 m. on the sea level.  An ancient picenum center, it became Urbs Urbana of the Romans, inserted into the Fermano Campagna.  In the V century the Goths looted and set fire to the part situated towards Villa Coccaro (nowadays the gardens of San Rocco). Towards the year 1,000 it appears in documents as Castrum Urbiani or Orviano.  In reality, to be able to speak of a single fortified center it is really necessary to get to the last thirty years of the XII century, when the joining up of the inhabited areas of the three castles came about: Orbanium, Coccaro e Montotto.   Contested by Fermo, due to its distinctive, strategic position, in 1433 it fell under the dominion of Francesco Sforza that carried out the restructuring of the defensive system, identified with very noble characteristics.  Being part of the Farfensi settlements, in 1586 Sisto V places it under the direct control of the Presidio of Montalto until the French occupation.  In 1808 it became one of the chief towns of the Tronto Department, with jurisdiction on nearby places, and has Moresco and Torchiano aggregated to it.  After the Vienna Congress, Pio VII promotes Monterubbiano to the seat of the second order District Governor.  In 1860 follows the joining to the Reign of Italy, marked by a consistent building renewal: construction of the Monumental Cemetery, on the project of the Architect Luca Galli, in neoclassical style; the creation of the Pagani Theatre, on the drawing of engineer Ridolfi of Ancona; the accomplishment of the San Rocco Park, on a drawing of A. Galli, a great architectural-landscape alliance.

Monuments and Churches
- Pagani Theatre, built in 1875 in neoclassical style by the local architect Luca Galli.
- Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall), of a XIV century roman- gothic structure, internally it is possible to admire the Municipal Picture Gallery.
- Palazzo Calzecchi Onesti, renaissance, it was erected in 1553.
- Church of S. Maria dei Letterati, preserves an organ of Callido, the “Assunzione della Vergine” (1539) and three small paintings on small wood panels with Saints by Vincenzo Pagani and a wooden Choir stall by A. Donati.
- Church of S. Agostino, dated 1266, preserves 6 panels of a polyptech of Veneta School, four wood panels with a scalloped edge and two medallions by Vincenzo Pagani.
- Cultural Centre San Francesco with Archeological Museum, Library and Auditorium (XIII century convent structure)
- Jewish Ghetto  XV century.
- Church of Santa Maria dell’Olmo, roman XI century
- Rectory of S. Stefano e Vincenzo Romanic church XI century
- Church of SS. Giovanni Battista and Evangelista (1238) with fresco of sposalizio mistico di Santa Caterina d’Alessandria
- Monumental Cemetery (1875) architetto Luca Galli.
- Public Gardens “Giacomo Leopardi” (1872) known as San Rocco
- Palazzo Secreti and il Cassero (1443)

Museums / Art Galleries
Municipal Archeological Museum C/O Cultural Centre of San Francesco
Via Pagani
Tel/Fax 0734.257396
Website/Email: -
Opening hours: (from 1st May to 30th September)
Every day, except Monday
10.00-12.00 - 17.00-19.00
(From 1st October to 30th April)
Fridays-Saturdays-Sundays and holidays
10.00-12.00 - 15.00-17.00
For the visits to the Museum refer to the Tourist Office c/o palazzo comunale (town hall)

Other attractions worth visiting
- Public Garden “Giacomo Leopardi” (1872) known as San Rocco with a small football and volleyball field
- Sports Field “Angelo Mariotti”
- Don Bosco Center (at Rubbianello)

Local Traditions
- Food and Drink: Only in Monterubbiano can you taste the typical plate of TAGLIATELLE FRITTE.  This dish born from the genius of a monterubbianese lady-chef joins the home made taste of the tagliatelle to that of many other ingredients… amongst which is also a secret one!
- Curiosities and anecdotes: Monterubbiano was birth place to important people in different fields like:
- Temistocle Calzecchi Onesti (physicist and inventor of the Coherer)
- Vincenzo Pagani (great artist of the XVI century)
- Oreste Murani (physicist)
- Luigi Centanni (hisorian)
and many others...

Typical products
Tagliatelle fritte

Tagliatelle fritte

Prodotti tipici - Km 0.221
Vino cotto

Vino cotto

Prodotti tipici - Km 4.66
Caciotta del fermano

Caciotta del fermano

Prodotti tipici - Km 8.178
Maccheroncini di Campofilone

Maccheroncini di Campofilone

Prodotti tipici - Km 8.364
La Galantina di Grottazzolina

La Galantina di Grottazzolina

Prodotti tipici - Km 9.491

©2020 Marca Fermana Via Oberdan, 1, - 63822 Porto San Giorgio (FM)
tel. +39 0734/221621 - e-mail:

©Tutti i diritti riservati - Credits